Jan 24, 2013

New Orleans Pelicans




It's official. After this season, the Hornets are no more. Welcome the New Orleans Pelicans! I have to say that when I first heard the name Pelicans, like most, I didn't like it. But word first leaked, it has grown on me. After the rebrand unveiling today, I am firmly behind the name and surprisingly, the colors as well.

The Pelicans will wear blue, gold (same gold as the Saints) and red. I didn't like red as a color option as soon as I heard it, but again, after the presentation today, I'm on board. These are the colors in the New Orleans flag, so instead of taking the easy way out and picking Mardi Gras colors, they went with more subdued colors and they work well together. I can't wait to see the uniforms, but from the look of the main logo and the secondary ones, the uniforms will be a hit as well.


The highlight of the logo for me is the crescent basketball. I hadn't even noticed it before they pointed it out during the presentation, but it's just a nice subtle touch and works so well for a team located in the Crescent City. The team seems to have fully embraced the Pelicans already from concept and colors to awareness and coastal preservation. Today, is a win for the NBA and Louisiana. 

No comments: